FSMA and Carrier Compliance
The Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) strengthens the food safety system through United States laws mandating comprehensive, science-based preventive controls across the whole supply chain. This is the largest mandate change to the FDA since its inception and will have an impact on the food industry for decades to come. FSMA does impact transportation and so this is another in our FSMA Series
FSMA has several primary focus areas:
- Standards for Produce Safety
- Preventive Controls for Human Food
- Preventive Controls for Animal Food
- Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) for Importers of Food for Humans and Animals
- Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food
- Mitigation Strategies to Protect Food Against Intentional Adulteration
- Third-Party Certification and Accreditation
Conquering FSMA transportation challenge can be daunting and the regulations confusing. Here are 10 points which will help you start your carrier FSMA compliance.
10 Items to start you FSMA carrier compliance
- Implement a system where trailers are pre-cooled prior to loading.
- Implement or upgrade temperature monitoring and control system to monitor and record the temperature of the load during the transportation process.
- Develop processes to communicate temperature profiles during the transportation cycle to both the shipper and receiver.
- Create a repository of temperature profiles for past loads.
- Ensure that temperature sensitive cargo has limited exposure to non-temperature controlled areas.
- Develop processes to deal with temperature violations that may occur during the transportation phase as well as the loading and unloading stages.
- Phase out refrigerated trailers with wood interiors.
- Become informed about new trailer designs and constructions available in the market today and how they can help you meet shipper requirements.
- Ensure sanitation equipment will be able to handle the requirements outlined by shippers.
Train your drivers on the use of refrigeration units and loading and unloading procedures for temperature-sensitive goods.
These are 10 basic items and should place you well on your way but there is much more.
ThroughPoint provides Preventive Controls Qualified Individuals (PCQI) who can assess your situation, develop & implement plans and certify FSMA compliance. Call 920.915.2192 today.